For as long as I can remember, I have always been stingy. Cheap. Kuripot. Ilonggo. Close fisted. Barat. I’ve been called all those names, but it never really bothered me. In fact, I find it something to be proud of.
It is a discipline that requires a lot of self control. Because I was able to develop the habit of saving, I was able to reach my emergency fund (3x to 6x monthly expenses) a couple years after I started working. It was at that time that I started searching for articles online that would tell me where to put my extra money. I knew that there had to be better instruments than just a savings account, but I had no idea at all. I came across several blogs and articles, and found a few which have drastically changed the way I look at personal finance. Allow me to share with you my favorite blogs on personal finance:
- www.fitzvillafuerte.com (Ready To Be Rich) – This blog is my all time favorite, since it is so practical and easy to understand. The topics discussed range from stock investments and mutual funds, to business ideas and life lesson.
- www.pinoymoneytalk.com – This blog posts almost everyday about personal finance, business ideas, franchising, stock tips, and career.
- https://www.moneymax.ph/blog/ – This website’s main feature is the comparison of financial products such as car insurance, credit cards, and housing loans. They also post regularly about almost anything related to money.
- https://www.imoney.ph/articles/ – This website is very similar to #4 in content. Just a different layout 🙂
- http://frugalhoney.com/ – This is a blog by Jill, a government lawyer, who regularly shares about her personal finance journey. There is a vulnerability to her writing that makes it so relatable and personal.
Personal finance is not something they teach in school, so I greatly appreciate these bloggers and their willingness to share their knowledge. So if you don’t know what to do with that extra 100 pesos, feel free to read up on those websites mentioned above.